Report Violence To Police

NSW Police request that you report incidents to them as soon as possible. If it's an emergency always call Triple Zero (000). If it's not urgent, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. You can also make an anonymous call without giving your name by calling Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

A variety of incidents can be reported to the Police. If you wish to make a report to the Police we can help and advise you on whether what you have experienced may be a crime.

Every incident that is reported helps the NSW Police Force build a fuller picture of homophobic, transphobic and prejudice related violence and abuse in NSW.


Sexual Preference Prejudice

The reporting system of the NSW Police Force has the ability to record a homophobic and transphobic crime as a 'Sexual Preference Prejudice' (SPP) crime. If you believe that the incident was because of your sexuality, gender or intersex you can ask that it is recorded as an SPP crime. This is how the NSW Police Force tracks the number and types of incidents that occur.



Gay and Lesbian Liaison Officers (GLLOs) are police officers located at various police stations across the state. GLLOs are specially trained to address GLBTIQ issues and work in their local areas to address issues affecting GLBTIQ communities.

You can find out if there is a GLLO near you by calling the Police Switchboard on 02 9281 0000.

Whilst GLLOs are important to our community, all police officers should be able to offer assistance or take your report. GLLOs are not available at all police stations at all times. It is important to report crime as soon as possible to any available officer.

For more information on GLLOs, click here.


Making a Police Complaint

The NSW Police Force has an internal complaints process. For more information please visit the NSW Police website. The AVP can also support you in making a complaint if you wish.


Giving a Statement

NSW Police Force policy, with the exception of domestic and family violence, states that officers must respect your wishes to not report a crime.

Also making a report to the police may or may not involve giving a statement. It's your choice whether or not you give a statement to the Police, however, a statement is necessary for police investigation or to apply for victim's compensation.

The statement itself is a typed record of events before, during and after the incident. It will include your description of the offender and any conversation that took place. The police will ask you to explain what happened in your own words, document what you say and ask you questions so that important details are not left out. For information about recording the incident as a "Sexual Preference Prejudice".

Afterwards you'll be asked to sign each page of the statement. It's important to read it carefully and correct any errors before you sign the statement. Remember that you may be able to update your statement at a later date, particularly if you were traumatised or in shock when giving it. It is important to be as accurate as possible to avoid this.

You should contact the police officer you reported to if this is the case.

NSW Police Force has a statutory obligation when responding to reports of domestic and family violence. This means that if you report or call police to an incident, Police are required to take action. NSW Police Force's Domestic and Family Violence Policy states that: "The NSW Police Force enforces a pro prosecution response to the investigation and management of domestic and family violence. Charges will be laid against offenders where evidence exists to support criminal charges." More information can be found here.


When reporting

  • You have the right to leave the police station at any time
  • You are entitled to have a support person present
  • If you need one, police will arrange for a properly qualified interpreter
  • You should never sign anything that is untrue, or that isn't written down the way you intended it to be
  • You have a right to a copy of your statement

The updated NSW Charter of Victims' Rights can be found here.


More info

Contact: ACON's Anti-Violence Project
(AVP Report-Line) (02) 9206 2116
Free call:
1800 063 060

For more information on the NSW Police Force's Sexuality and Gender Policy, click here.

For more information on the NSW Police Force’s commitment to GLBTI communities, click here