Volunteers are integral to ACON and we function as an organisation because of all their generous time, good will and hard work. Volunteering is a great way to meet other likeminded people, get an insight into ACON and the work we do, and to contribute towards making our community better.
No matter who you are or what your skill level is, there are lots of ways to get involved. We also offer a range of roles that require specific qualifications and training to get involved in.
World Pride is coming to Sydney in 2023 and we need passionate, non-judgemental volunteers to get involved!
We are currently looking for volunteers for the ACON Rover project at World Pride. Rovers are a volunteer-based, community-led initiative and we promote a culture of care and safety at LGBTQ+ dance parties and events. Rovers are an essential part of the party scene in Sydney and are supported by supervisors to reduce risk of overdose, discomfort and harm during events.
ACON Rovers will attend major parties during World Pride including the Domain Dance Party, Bondi Beach, Rainbow republic, and the Mardi Gras After Party. If you’re looking to meet like-minded people and help our communities during this World Pride, then apply today!
ACON’s annual facilitator training is back and is bigger than ever!
We are looking for passionate and committed LGBTQ+ people to help us make a real difference in the lives of our community. If you love meeting new people and helping people to connect with one another, this volunteering opportunity is for you!
Our community of peer facilitators run a range of exciting community workshops and activities throughout the year and are instrumental in helping ACON to ensure that our work is created and run by our community.
What is the role of an ACON facilitator?
As an ACON peer facilitator, you will:
- Be responsible for working with your fellow facilitators to run workshops and sessions that explore topics such as identity, sexuality, consent, sexual health and wellbeing as well as a range of other topics that are important to our communities.
- Help ACON’s community health projects to design, run and improve the workshops and forums we run throughout the year.
- Facilitate at least one workshop in the year. (A workshop runs for 3-4 hours on a week night, once a week for four weeks).
- Attend ACON’s facilitator training, which runs across 5 days.
About Facilitator Training:
Facilitator training brings together a big group of passionate people who want to give back to their communities. Volunteer facilitators are excited about equity, diversity and holistic sexual health for our communities.
The training will provide volunteers with:
- Important facilitation skills – such as active listening and non-judgemental communication.
- Skills to facilitate conversations around sensitive topics that affect our communities.
- Experience and ongoing support to run fun, sex-positive and community-centred workshops.
Sunday 20 Nov, 10am – 4pm,
Saturday 26 Nov 10am – 4pm,
Sunday 27 Nov 10am – 4pm,
Saturday 03 Dec 10am – 4pm,
Sunday 04 Dec 10am – 4pm.
Where: Rex Centre, 38A Macleay Street, Potts Point.
Cost: FREE! Lunch is included on all training dates.
The registration form will be open until 30 September and we will start holding interviews from 26 September on.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact one of our project officers below:
- Anna Barker (LGBTQ Women’s Health Projects) at ABarker@acon.org.au.
- Harrison Sarasola (Peer Education) at HSarasola@acon.org.au.
- Loc Nguyen (Multicultural Engagement & Community Development) at LNguyen@acon.org.au.