We’re here to work with legislators, policymakers and service providers to understand and address the needs of the LGBTI community and people living with HIV in policy development.
ACON has a long heritage in HIV advocacy from the very beginning of the epidemic, and the organisation’s inception in 1985. Our HIV Advocacy Plan identifies activities that seek to respond to the current issues in HIV policy and advocacy, as well as future challenges and opportunities.
Our work focusses on on a broad range of issues as they impact on both the prevention of HIV and other STIs, as well as care and support for people living with HIV, including:
- Areas which will have the most impact on the fight to end HIV
- Policy goals and targets in the NSW and National HIV Strategies
- Addressing priority areas and the clear rationale for change from an individual, community, population health and health system perspective
- Making PrEP available to gay men who want to access to this prevention method. This will be critical to ensure access to this game changing biomedical intervention
- Securing access to a wider variety of HIV testing services, especially HIV self – testing and rapid HIV testing.
In the lead up to the 2015 NSW election, ACON, the NSW Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby, Positive Life NSW, the Sex Workers Outreach Project, and Organisation Intersex International Australia surveyed the three major parties as well as key independents on a range of issues relevant to the LGBTI communities and people with HIV.
Find out how they responded to questions on key policy issues such as HIV and blood borne viruses, LGBTI health and wellbeing, people with intersex variations, community safety and social inclusion, education, ageing, drug use and harm reduction, and sex worker health
NSW Election 2015 LGBTI and HIV Policy Survey
- CARA HPE Curriculum Submission
- ACON Letter DSP Impairment Tables Inquiry
- Aged care Accreditation Standards FinalAged care Accreditation Standards
- ACON response to the TGA Review of Medicines and Medical Devices Regulation FINAL
- ACON re Senate Select Committee on Health
- ACON response to AHRC Sexual Orientation Gender Identity and Intersex Rights in Australia
- Response to TGA HST Proposal FINAL
More Info & Contact Details:
Contact: ACON’s Advocacy Team
Tel: (02) 9206 2000